Sunday, December 19, 2010

ExoPC Windows 7 Slate up for pre-order in the US

It's been a few months since the ExoPC slate computer went up for order in Canada, but it's just this weekend that the company launched pre-orders in the US. The Microsoft Store is taking pre-orders for the tablet for $699.

For that price, you get a tablet with an 11.6 inch, 1366 x 768 pixel display, Intel Atom N450 CPU, 64GB solid state disk, 2GB of RAM and Windows 7 Home Premium. Oh yeah, it also has a custom user interface which is designed to make Windows easier to navigate using your fingertips.

I happen to have a demo unit on my desk, but it will probably be a little while before I get around to a full review, because ExoPC let me know the company is pushing out a major software update soon… and another in January. While I probably won't wait for the second update (which will include a custom on-screen keyboard that looks like it could be an excellent alternative to Microsoft's), I do at least want to spend some time using the new software before passing judgment.

What I can tell you right now is that the ExoPC has excellent build quality, a very responsive screen, and reasonably well thought-out software. Unfortunately, like most Windows slates I've tested, it doesn't have stellar battery life. I've only been able to get about 3.5 hours or less of run time so far.

If you're interested in pre-ordering, Engadget reports that the tablet will begin shipping in about a week. It should also be available in Microsoft's retail stores.

ExoPC Windows 7 Slate up for pre-order in the US is a post from: Liliputing