Sunday, November 7, 2010

First look at the new HP Mini 210 netbook

HP has a habit of releasing new netbooks with the same model number as earlier versions. So while you might think you know all about the HP Mini 210 since a mini-laptop with that name was launched earlier this year, you'd be slightly wrong — because HP recently relaunched the Mini 210 with a new design and a number of new configuration options.

The new HP Mini 210 is available with 4 different CPU and graphics options:

  • 1.66GHz Intel Atom N455
  • 1.83GHz Intel Atom N475
  • 1.83GHz Intel Atom N475 + Broadcom Crystal HD video accelerator
  • 1.5GHz Intel Atom N550 dual core CPU + Broadcom HD video accelerator

Unlike most other netbooks, HP also offers users a choice of operating systems (Windows 7 Starter or Home premium), up to 2GB of RAM, and a choice of a 160GB or 250GB 7200RPM hard drive. You can also choose between a 1024 x 600 pixel or 1366 x 768 pixel 10.1 inch display.

The netbook now comes standard with a 6 cell battery. There's no 3 cell battery option. And HP has given the case a slight redesign, although the key elements are much the same. You get an island-style keyboard, a touchpad with integrated buttons, a glossy screen with edge-to-edge glass, and a back panel that can be completely removed without a screwdriver. In fact, it's far easier to pop off the back cover than it was on earlier HP Mini 210 models.

HP recently sent me a demo unit to review — and while I was expecting a model with an Atom N550 dual core CPU, I actually got a model with a single core Atom N455 CPU. I suspect overall performance will be quite similar to what I experienced with the HP Mini 210 HD I recently reviewed, so I suspect my full review will focus more on the netbook's design than its performance. But I'll wait until I kick the tires a little more before making any final judgments.

You can check out my unboxing video after the break. Bear in mind, I thought I was getting a dual core model when I opened the box, so there might be a few mistakes in my description.

First look at the new HP Mini 210 netbook is a post from: Liliputing